Welcome back! Today’s SEO copywriting tip is in response to a question from the SEO Copywriting Facebook group: how do you market a (local) business online when you don’t have any money?
This can be tricky, because ideally if you’re launching a new business, you usually have a marketing budget, however small. At the same time, Heather has worked with local companies that invested all they had just to get their business up and running – only to find themselves scrambling to figure out how to get the word out.
Tune in as Heather shares three ideas for marketing online when you have no cash, and under the conditions that it’s possible to do so:
It’s possible…but under certain conditions:
It is possible to market your business online with no budget, but only for the short term, and under certain conditions.
- The owner has time to educate him/herself in online marketing.
- The owner makes marketing his/her business a priority and can dedicate a couple of hours (or more) a day to getting the word out.
- Know that this is a stop-gap measure. In most cases, businesses will benefit from having an actual site.
Marketing Idea #1 – Twitter
- Twitter can be a great way to “meet” new local people.
- It’s important to know how and what to tweet. Too much self promotion will turn prospective clients off.
- Be a good community member. Don’t forget to RT (retweet), thank people for their RT’s, etc.
Marketing Idea #2 – Facebook
- Facebook can provide your company a “home” until your site is launched.
- Spend time building a good Facebook page that encourages community and sparks conversation.
- Check on your Facebook page throughout the day and comment/add new wall posts.
Marketing Idea #3 – Local Publications
It’s easy to forget that not all marketing has to be done online (and that print often has an online component).
- Does your local newspaper have a monthly “new business” interview or column? Pitch your business and ask to be interviewed. Don’t forget local business journals, too.
- Make note of local influential bloggers in your community. How can you connect with them?
- Whenever possible, try to meet people in person.
Thanks for joining us for today’s SEO copywriting tip! Do you have a question for Heather? Zip it over to her at firstname.lastname@example.org and you may very well see it answered here! See you then.