In the classic words of Steve Martin: let’s get small! In this week’s latest and greatest Web writing news, small business owners are given much attention by both content and SEO/search marketers, Google once again slips in an update over a holiday weekend, and the social media community discusses Facebook and the state of their industry. Get ready to get small with this week’s web gems…
Heather Lloyd-Martin’s top five posts addressing the common challenges faced by the small business freelance copywriter are at SEO Copywriting.
Neil Patel shares eight “marketing twists” to make your small business stand out at QuickSprout.
“5 of the Most Important Content & Social Media Tips For A Successful Business Blog” are shared by Lee Odden at Top Rank.
Contently posts an article by Kylie Jane Wakefield on the critical importance of images for your content, with “Your Content Is Sunk Without Good Photos.”
Seth Godin discusses the art of B2B sales with “A hierarchy of business to business needs.”
Heidi Cohen posts “Three Content Super Powers that Will Transform Your Social Media, Search, and Sales” at Content Marketing Institute.
Katie Fetting-Schlerf discusses the conversion challenges of the old-school marketing technique, AIDA, in the internet age at SEO Copywriting.
- Sales Brain announces an open, two-day Neuromarketing Workshop in Phoenix, June 6th and 7th.
- Usability Week 2012 Conference, hosted by the Neilsen Norman Group, is scheduled for June 25th thru the 29th in Chicago.
- Marketing Sherpa’s Optimization Summit 2012 will be held in Denver from June 11th thru the 14 th. Register now for a price break!
- Marketing Sherpa’s B2B Summit 2012 will be held in Orlando, August 27th thru the 30th.
- Content Marketing Institute’s Content Marketing World 2012 is scheduled for September 4th thru the 6th in Columbus, OH. And today is the last day to get an early-bird price!
SEO & Search
Jonathan Allen discusses “why small businesses are completely at a loss as to what constitutes ‘ethical’ SEO” with “SEO, Why You Are Doing it Wrong” at Search Engine Watch.
While the rest of us (in the U.S.) were giving it a break over the holiday weekend, Google pushed out what it claims to be their first Penguin algorithm update, reports Matt McGee at Search Engine Land.
Gabriella Sannino posts the delightful and most relevant “Penguin, Penguin, Who’s Got the Penguin? Let’s Throw a Link At It…” at Level 343.
Yo! Yo! SEO’s Dana Lookadoo shares her story on integrating social media and education with word-of-mouth/conversational SEO in an in-depth interview at SEO Copywriting.
Alan Bleiweiss posts “Another Black Hat Company Caught Selling Links” with a surprise (?) ending at Search Engine Journal.
Ian Lurie exemplifies how his company does SEO proposals (admittedly forgoing his usual sarcasm) at Portent.
The new “Lead SEO” at SEOmoz, Ruth Burr, describes “how [she] rolls” with her introductory post, “SEO Isn’t Magic – So Stop Doing SEO Tricks.”
- SMX (Search Marketing Expo) Advanced Seattle 2012 is scheduled for June 5th and 6th. Workshops are on June 7th.
- SES (Conference & Expo) Toronto is scheduled for June 11th thru the 13th.
- MozCon 2012 is scheduled for July 25th thru the 27th (in Seattle, of course).
- SES (Conference & Expo) San Francisco is scheduled for August 13th thru the 17th.Register before June 16th for the best rates!
- PubCon Las Vegas 2012 is on for October 15th thru the 19th at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Register now for early bird rates!
Social Media Marketing
In her 4th Quarter edition of her website cleanup series, Lyena Solomon discusses the social audit at NetSprinter.
Denny Hatch posts “Saving Facebook (A Business Plan for Mark Zuckerberg to Save Face)” at Target Marketing Magazine.
Pamela Vaughan posts “Facebook Study Shows Brand Related Posts Drive Highest Engagement” at HubSpot.
Matt McGee reports on Bit.ly’s overhaul and social networking ambitions at Marketing Land.
Brian Solis posts “From Co-creation to Collaboration: 5 pillars for business success.”
Jeff Bullas posts a video interview with Brian Solis on “The State of Social Media in 2012,” conducted by Maria Petrescu of Intervistato.com.
- BlogWorld & New Media Expo 2012, NYC is on for June 5th thru the 7th in the Big Apple.
Want to start your career in SEO copywriting, but need specialized training? Check out the SEO Copywriting Certification training course.
photo thanks to Me-Liss-A