In this week’s latest and greatest online marketing news, content marketers discuss website design and what constitutes “great” content, SEO and search pros opine on their profession’s greatest challenges, and social media marketers discuss community building and hashtags.
Enjoy this week’s picks!
Lee Odden discusses “The Role of KPIs, Marketing Goals & Business Objectives in Online Marketing” at TopRank.
Danny Brown discusses “Why Thinking About Traffic is the Scourge of Great Content.”
Chris Atkinson posts “The Video Metrics That Matter. Hint: It’s Not Views” (video) at ReelSEO.
James Perrin posts “Have Google Made The Content Landscape Better Or Worse?” at Koozai.
Matt Gratt posts “How to Build Your Content Promotion & Link Building Opportunity List” at the BuzzStream Blog.
Kumail Hemani posts “Interview of Dana Lookadoo, An Internet Marketing Specialist!” at his blog.
Syed Balkini shares “10 Must Have WordPress Plugins of 2013 Every Blogger Should Know About” at Jeff Bullas’s Blog.
Hamish McKenzie posts “News sites are looking more like tablet apps every day, and that’s a good thing” at PandoDaily.
Kimberly Krause Berg discusses “Why Websites Don’t Work” at Internet Marketing Ninjas.
Jennifer Horowitz shares “23 Tips To Improve Your Bounce Rate” at Level 343.
Mike Volpe posts “Three Deadly Reasons Most Websites Fail” at MarketingProfs.
Roger Dooley discusses website redesign with “Don’t Redesign Your Elevator!” at Neuromarketing.
Citing a recent report by Yesmail Interactive, Ayaz Nanji posts “Mobile Email Benchmarks and Trends by Industry” at MarketingProfs.
Lee Odden posts “Content Marketing As A Useful, Meaningful Experience. Anything Else Is Just Noise” at TopRank.
- The Neilsen Norman Group’s Usability Week 2013 will be held in Minneapolis from September 9th thru the 13th.
- Content Marketing World 2013 returns to Cleveland, OH, September 9th thru the 12th.
- The Publishing Business Conference & Expo is scheduled for September 23rd thru the 25th in New York City.
- Marketing Sherpa’s Lead Gen(eration) Summit 2013 will be held in San Francisco from September 30th thru Oct 3rd. Register by August 31st to save $100!
- MarketingProfs B2B Marketing Forum 2013 will be held October 9th thru the 11th in Boston.
- BtoB is holding Digital Edge LIVE October 23rd in New York City.
(John Hall lists a number of great conferences for online marketers, businesses, and entrepreneurs at Forbes).
SEO & Search
Barry Schwartz posts the “September 2013 Google Webmaster Report” at Search Engine Roundtable.
Danny Dover posts (“the brand-new version”) of “The Web Developer’s SEO Cheat Sheet 2.0”, available as a free download, at Moz.
Chris Crum reports “AdWords Keyword Tool Is No More, Enter Keyword Planner” at WebProNews.
Michael Martinez discusses “Basic SEO Rules Everyone Forgot” at SEO Theory.
Gianluca Fiorelli posts “SEO in the Personalization Age” at Moz.
Doc Sheldon asks SEO experts “What do you believe is the single greatest challenge facing SEOs today?” at Intrinsic Value SEO.
Trond Lyngbo discusses “6 SEO Challenges Every Business Owner & Marketer Must Contend With In 2014” at Search Engine Land.
Barry Schwartz posts “Is PageRank Finally Dead? It Seems To Be, At Least In The Google Toolbar” at Search Engine Land.
Bharati Ahuja reports “Google Wants Feedback About Small But High-Quality Websites That Could Do Better In Search Results” at WebPro Technologies.
Will Critchlow discusses “The Future of User Behavior” (Whiteboard Friday) at Moz.
Mary Bowling discusses “How to create unique SEO content for location pages” at SEO Copywriting.
John Britsios discusses “Building a Solid Index Presence by Optimizing your Crawl Budget” at AlgoHunters.
Jon Ball posts “Link Building 101: How to Conduct a Backlink Analysis” at Search Engine Watch.
Kaila Strong posts “Startup Tip: How to Attract Inbound Links to Your Site Naturally” at the Business.com Blog.
Citing a recent Matt Cutts’ (Google WebmasterHelp) video, Barry Schwartz reports “Google Gets 5,000 Reconsideration Requests Per Week” at Search Engine Land.
George Freitag shares “The Blogger Dashboard: Google Analytics for Writers” at Portent.
Eric Enge posts “Has Google’s Author Rank Arrived?” at Copyblogger.
Warren Lee discusses “SEO Ambiguity & Pattern Recognition” at Search Engine Land.
- TechCrunch Disrupt SF 2013 will be held September 7th thru the 11th (in San Francisco).
- SES San Francisco is set for September 10th thru the 13th.
- Conductor Collaboration Conference (C3) 2013 is set for September 17th thru the 19th in New York City.
- SMX East 2013 returns to New York City, October 1st thru the 3rd.
- PubCon Las Vegas 2013 is on for October 22nd thru the 25th. Early bird savings schedule of up to $600 thru September 15th, then $400 thru October 20th!
Social Media Marketing
Citing a report by Reuters, Amy Gesenhues posts “Facebook May Expand Use Of Facial Recognition To Billion+ Public User Profile Pictures” at Marketing Land.
“Facebook Allows Contests Without Apps” headlines Social Media Examiner’s weekly news.
Brian Solis posts “Will Twitter’s New Conversations Hinder or Spark Conversations?”
Annie Wallace posts “How To Engage Your Community With Hashtags?” at Social Media Revolver.
Ann Smarty discusses “Wrong Ways To Use Hashtags” at SEO Chat.
Danny Brown’s Sunday Share features Rebelmouse’s “How to Build and Showcase Your Community.”
- The fifth annual (online) Social Media Success Summit begins October 1st and will run through October 23rd.
- Social Brand Forum 2013 will be held in “Iowa’s Creative Corridor” in Coralville, October 24th and 25th.
(For an all-in-one listing and description of social media, content & inbound marketing events, check out Neal Schaffer’s “The 12 Best Social Media Conferences to Attend in 2013” at Social Media Today.)
photo thanks to public-sector-lists.com|governmentlists
Sale! Now, save 25% on the SEO Copywriting Certification training through September 30th, 2013. Use coupon code SEPTEMBER