Are you wondering if your “SEO expert” has been around as long as he claims? Feeling like you’ve been in the business since the beginning of SEO time?
Here are 18 ways to tell if you’re an SEO O.G. (“old guard” or ‘original gansta”.) Plus, you’ll find even more tips, thanks to a little help from my SEO friends. If you’re new to the SEO world, you’ll enjoy reading how much things have changed. And if you’re an O.G. SEO too – enjoy! Here’s your trip down memory lane.
- You remember when getting a Yahoo Directory listing was a big deal.
- You have a robot t-shirt from the original Googledance.
- You remember when Search Engine Strategies was so small that roundtable sessions were the norm.
- People didn’t know who Danny Sullivan was.
- One word: Looksmart
- You didn’t optimize for Google – because Google didn’t exist.
- RankWrite was the only resource that discussed SEO copywriting.
- You remember prospects telling you, “We won’t pay you, but we’ll give you a piece of the company. Our company is gonna be huge.”
- You remember the dotcom crash, the F*cked Company site and a bunch of companies going out of business.
- A little engine called GoTo.com launched – and you debated whether PPC was really viable.
- “Big Boy” reminds you of Inktomi first – then the hamburger chain.
- I-Search was THE email newsletter to read. Having your post featured was a big deal, too.
- Search Engine Strategies San Francisco was at the Fairmont – complete with a sit-down, steak lunch.
- “Content optimization” meant making sure that you had a 5.5% keyword density for AltaVista.
- You remember when Bruce Clay was featured in Wired magazine.
- You remember answering the question,”Commas or spaces in the meta keywords tag?”
- You didn’t need glasses when you first started your SEO career (after all, you were probably in your late 20’s or early 30’s!).
- Danny Sullivan called you a “first generation” search marketer way back in 2006.
Plus, here are some more – thanks to all of my O.G. friends who contributed!
HUGE thanks to David Burke of VisualFuture (and Sally Burke, too!) who let me post this pic from “back in the day!’ Folks pictured are David Burke, Sally Burke, Jill Whalen, Craig Paddock, me (back when I was a blonde) and Chris Sherman.