In today’s SEO copywriting how-to, Heather discusses the value of developing quality content and keyphrase research before launching your site. She highlights the perils of not consulting an SEO expert and the disappointment of overemphasizing site design versus quality content.
Check it here:
3 Things to Consider Before a Site Launch
Many companies forget to talk to an SEO expert prior to launching a site, especially an SEO expert who understands content.
Companies that neglect to consult an SEO expert often produce a great looking site, but the site performs poorly on Google. Content may be beautifully written, yet it may not be easily found.
Here are the 3 things to consider before a site launch:
1. How much room will be available for the content?
- Some site templates allow for only 75 words of content
- Consider the length of your content
- It is easier to have more room for content than not enough room
2. What is your keyphrase universe?
- Some companies write their content before conducting any keyphrase research
- This requires content to be edited after it has been created … which takes a lot of time
- Research before you launch and set up a per page strategy. If you are constrained by time or expertise, you can always hire a contractor to help
3. What content needs to be “live” before a site launches?
- Some companies overemphasize site design and completely forget about content
- This often results in poorly worded “placeholder” content to be modified later
- Content is sometimes imported from the older site … and you didn’t like that content!
- Make sure you have your quality content completed before you launch
It’s simply a matter of “pay me now, or pay me later” when you launch a site. A beautifully designed site with little or no quality content will remain that: a beautifully designed site. And it will stay beautiful because it will have very few visitors to trample upon it!
Instead, focus on quality content and keyphrase research prior to developing and launching your site. Help the search engines help you!
Thanks for tuning in to this week’s SEO copywriting how-to! As always, if you have any questions, comments, or an idea for the next video post, please let me know! Contact me, or find me on Twitter @heatherlloyd!
photo thanks to dan.montesi (Dan Montesi)
Are you interested in an SEO Copywriting Certification Program? Check into the only industry-endorsed online training that certifies copywriters in SEO copywriting best practices. Find out more here.