In today’s SEO copywriting how-to, Heather discusses her all-time favorite online writing tip, which is… the easiest possible way to make sure that you’re not over-optimizing your Web content…and how to fix it if you have!
Check it here:
Afraid of over-optimizing your content?
- It’s easy for new writers (or even experienced ones) to push the optimization envelope and accidentally create spammy copy.
I still see over-optimized content out there, especially with new writers who are not quite used to putting keyphases into copy – it’s very easy to add too many!
I also see experienced SEO copywriters lapse into heavy-handed optimization. It well may be they’re just tired and have been churning out a lot of content, and they accidentally add too many keyphrases in their copy. It happens, but…
The end result is the same. Over-optimized content, which…
– Throws off the conversion flow of the Web content
– Makes the copy “sound”/read spammy
– Is not good for Google
– And it’s definitely not good for readers!
The easy-breezy secret?
To avoid over-optimizing your content:
- After you’re done writing, print out the document and read it out loud. Don’t do it in your head. Actually read it out loud.
- You will instantly hear if your text is too keyphrase-stuffed, and you can easily start deleting some words.
- Another option – replace them with synonyms.
I recently addressed using synonyms in your keyphrase vocabulary in the SEO copywriting video post, “Keyphrases: why synonyms are your friends.”
By using keyphrase synonyms in your optimization, you’re including different words that help your copy flow more naturally. Additionally, including synonyms is a smart SEO content optimization step.
It’s a win-win for everyone!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s SEO copywriting how-to! As always, if you have any questions, comments, or an idea for the next video post, please let me know! Email me via [email protected], or find me on Twitter @heatherlloyd!
photo thanks to Dreaming in the deep south (Beth Scupham)
Do you think your website may be over- (or under-) optimized? Check into my low-cost, high-value SEO Content Review service – I can troubleshoot your web content and come up with immediate SEO remedies!