Make your benefit statements specific. Very specific.
Heather developed this piece in response to a reader question about how to increase the effectiveness of their web copy. In looking through the reader’s web content, Heather realized that one of the opportunities the copywriter could leverage was to make their marketing copy more specific.
While the general reader benefit statements were powerful, honing them to highly tangible and specific “what’s-in-it-for-me” language is what this copywriter needed to do to improve their conversions. So for those of you who have been struggling with writing better sales copy and are looking for any advantage you can find, you should find this most helpful:
1. So these are so-so benefit statements. (Let’s make them better…)
- Boost your revenue!
- Let us help you save time!
- Save money!
The challenge? People have different ideas about what “boosting revenue,” “saving time” and “saving money” mean. The web copy doesn’t paint a picture. This is where the specifics come in…
2. Specifics take a good marketing statement and make it sexy
- Boost your revenue by 30%!
- What would you do with an extra hour every day?
- Slice your expenses by $2,000 a month!
So you can see how these highly specific benefits, expressed in such personalized, concrete and precise terms, can be something simple to leverage…
3. So what does this mean to your online writing?
- Track how you’ve helped your customers – what specifics can you uncover?
- Try to back up any “general” benefit statement with an exact number or percentage.
- Don’t feel compelled to “round up.” If you’ve boosted profits by 27.6%, it’s OK to use that stat.
If you haven’t yet asked your customers for testimonials, now would be a great time to start. Ask them if they can provide you with any precise specifications in terms of numbers and percentages. Studies have shown that accurate, factual spec’s (e.g., 27.6% as opposed to 25- or 30%) are found to be more credible by prospects. And besides, it’s the truth of the matter!
Try these suggestions and watch your conversions improve!